Find a lawyer
Ian is a Partner and Head of Corporate for Asia. Ian has been with the firm since 1998 and is currently based in our Hong Kong office. Ian previously worked for over ten years in our London office, where he was a Corporate Partner and Head of the Private Equity Work Group and then for nearly seven years in our Moscow office, where he was the Head of English Law. Ian is a member of the Law Society of England and Wales and a Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales.
Ian has 20+ years’ experience working across Asia, the USA, Europe, Russia & the CIS, specialising in cross-border M&A, private equity & venture capital, joint ventures, corporate finance, shareholder disputes and focuses on emerging and high growth markets. Ian has been recognised as an expert by a number of leading legal directories and surveys, including Legal 500, Chambers, International Financial Law Review, PLC Leading Lawyer and Vedomosti’s Best Lawyers. Ian is a fluent Russian language speaker and has acted as an expert witness on matters of English Law in the Russian courts.
Ian is co-author of the books "Use of English law in Russian transactions - a comparative review" (Alpina Publishers 2011), a ground-breaking in-depth review of how and why English law is widely used on deals in Russia and the CIS and "A Case Study Guide to M&A Transactions in Russia". Ian is a contributor to Practical Law Company (PLC), XBMA Forum and ACC (Association of Corporate Counsel) on legal issues and developments and is a regular contributor to leading business media, including The Financial Times, CNBC, The Moscow Times and RBK. He regularly lectures on legal topics to law and business students.
A track record of transactions that Ian has worked on includes:
- Acting for different funders including Albion Ventures, Close Ventures, Grenadier, Loudwater Investments, Octopus VCTs, Patron, Puma Funds, Rapid Realisations and St Peter Port Capital on various private equity, venture capital and development capital investments in a range of different business sectors.
- Acting for bidders on the proposed sale by Allianz of Four Seasons care homes portfolio.
- British Land on the Blythe Valley business park development.
- Close Brothers on a range of private equity and venture capital investments, management buy-outs and exits.
- Eurasian Development Bank in relation to its $1.5 billion co-investment together with VEB (Vneshekonombank) and Raiffeisenbank in Acron, one of Europe’s top mineral fertilizer makers.
- European Bank of Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) in relation to investments in Russia and the CIS.
- LA Fitness on various corporate transactions, including its IPO and private equity investment by MidOcean Partners.
- LK Bennett on its sale to Phoenix Equity Partners and Sirius Equity.
- Raven Russia on different corporate and financing projects, including the acquisition from FF&P of the Sholokhovo grade A warehousing complex to the north of Moscow.
- Lloyds TSB on the corporate aspects of financings of Yo! Sushi and West Cornwall Pasty company.
- Loans.co.uk on its sale to MBNA.
- Royal Bank of Scotland on the restructuring of the Le Meridien hotels portfolio and on-sale to new operators; on the financing of NCP Cark Parks and Selfridges; and on the proposed sale of part of its hotel portfolio to Vector Hospitality, as part of a proposed £2.4 billion listed REIT.
- Sberbank of Russia on its investment project related to the acquisition of 25%+1 share in Detsky Mir Centre, the largest children's goods retail store network in Russia.
- Telegraph Group on the disposal of The Best of British and separately on a range of technology and media investments.
- Tesco PLC on corporate venturing deals.
- Tomsk Refining AB on disposal of Siberian oil refineries Tomskneftepererabotka LLC and TD Tomskneftepererabotka LLC.
- Transamerica Corporation on the restructuring and disposal of its European trailer leasing business to Goldman Sachs Private Equity and Cerberus.
- TTT Moneycorp on an investment by RBS Equity Finance.