Find a lawyer
Vladislav Safonov is an senior associate of our Customs, Indirect Taxation and Foreign Exchange Practice. He specialises in customs and exchange regulations and in application of related legislation to customs relations.
Vladislav has participated in projects to challenge unlawful decisions/actions on the part of customs authorities, decisions to impose administrative liability for violation of the customs legislation and to have overpaid/overcharged customs payments returned.
The projects recently implemented by Vladislav include:
- Acting for a major international car manufacturer and express-delivery/transportation agent in connection with administrative investigations into customs clearance and temporary import compliance issues.
- Representing the interests of a large pharmaceutical company in challenging of decisions of the Russian currency control authority.
- Providing advice to and representing the interests of a Russian company belonging to a major holding of a European food producer in challenging decisions n part of customs authorities to charge additional customs fees and ones relating to designated use of conditionally released manufacturing equipment.
- Representing the interests of a top-tier oilfield service company in connection with criminal proceedings initiated by customs authorities with respect to transit of its goods on the territory of Russia.
- Acting for a Russian exporter of raw materials in litigations aimed at challenging the customs authority’s decision to charge additional customs fees. Proving the lawfulness of applying the first method in determining the customs value of goods in related-party transactions.
- Acting for a major logistics and customs clearance company within the scope of proceedings instigated to collect arrears and penalties under a brokerage contract.
- Advising Russian and foreign companies on application of customs, foreign exchange and export control regulations and administrative and criminal laws.
- Assisting a major food producer in conducting an internal investigation to check compliance by its suppliers with Russian customs regulations.
- Advising a number of major foreign and Russian companies on importing equipment as an in-kind contribution to authorised capital. Legal assistance in clearing imported goods through customs, including preparing and obtaining the requisite documents.