(BLP), an award-winning international law firm
- Abu Dhabi
- Hong Kong
- Tel Aviv
Find a lawyer
Evgeny Timofeev, Partner, joined Berwin Leighton Paisner in July 2011 to lead the firm’s growing Russian/CIS (Goltsblat BLP) Tax Practice.
Evgeny is highly regarded in the Russian legal community. In 2017, for the second year in a row, Evgeny has been listed among Leading Lawyers in the field of tax in Russia, which is the most prestigious tier in the Legal 500 EMEA rankings. Chambers & Partners 2017 ranks him in the first tier as one of six "highly recommended" tax lawyers in Russia. It is also mentioned that "Evgeny is a stellar tax litigator in Russia: he is one of the best in the market. He's very logical and very creative."
Evgeny is named one of the world’s best advisors to private clients according to The Private Client Global Elite 2017 published by an international Legal Week edition.
Evgeny Timofeev was selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in Russia 2009-2018 Editions in the field of Tax Law and in 2012, Best Lawyers named Evgeny the "Lawyer of the Year in the field of Tax Law in Russia". For many years in a row Evgeny has been also recommended as one of the Tax Controversy Leaders and Indirect Tax Leaders in Russia by the International Tax Review.
In 2011 Evgeny received the “Lawyer of the Year” Alumni Award (awarded once in a year to the only one of the graduates of all years) from Moscow State Institute of International Relations (MGIMO), which is considered one of the Top 3 Russian law schools.
With the Tax Practice headed by Evgeny Timofeev, Goltsblat BLP has been ranked as the 1st tier law firm in Russia according to The World’s Leading Transactional Firms ranking by The International Tax Review Magazine (Euromoney, March 2012).
Evgeny provides a broad range of contentious and non-contentious tax advice to global corporates, local companies and financial institutions as well as represents them in tax disputes.
Some recent projects that Evgeny Timofeev has headed include advising:
- Successfully defending Guardian Group from the tax authorities attacking the Group’s structure in Russia, which could lead to a collapse of the Client’s most crucial business processes;
- Advising TechnoNICOL, a major international manufacturer of construction materials, on corporate restructuring including coordination with a number of other jurisdictions;
- Advising RudHydro on its de-offshorisation project;
- Advising X5 Retail Group on tax and corporate aspects of cross-border restructuring of the group’s IP and real estate assets;
- Advising a branch of a US company on retrospective withdrawal of permanent establishment status and refund of profit tax paid for several years;
- Performing a transfer pricing study and preparing TP documentation under the Russian rules for the Russian entities of the key international pharmaceutical group, Sanofi, and for a number of other clients;
- Developing the Russian asset restructuring of an operator of a big retail and shopping mall chain;
- Representing businesses at the Supreme Commercial Court of the Russian Federation in disputes with the Russian Government and the Russian Federal Tax Service over adjustment of VAT invoices and controlled transaction notifications;
- Acting for two big global companies in disputes over regional property tax benefits;
- Justifying availability of Russian tax resident status to an individual from the perspective of an international treaty in order to preclude attempts to tax his income in the Netherlands;
- Supporting Tommy Hilfiger in its acquisition of a number of retail stores in the landmark shopping centres from its major franchisee;
- Advising a major Spanish perfumery and cosmetics manufacturer on booking cross-border reorganisation-related expenses as costs;
- Acting for a major French bank in a dispute over tax treatment of transactions pertaining to syndicated lending and parent bank guarantees, etc.
He is a member of the Board of the Russian Tax Law Association and of the Expert Council on Tax Legislation of the State Duma Budget Committee. He is also a member of the International Fiscal Association and serves on the Tax Committees of the Association of European Business in Russia, the American Chamber of Commerce in Russia and the Deutsch-Russische Auslandshandelskammer. In addition to his law degree earned from MGIMO (1994), Evgeny has an MBA from London Business School (2001).