Find a lawyer
Anton specialises in intellectual property and information technology, advising a diverse mix of domestic and foreign clients from assorted industries on a broad range of IP matters, including trademarks, copyright, know how, and trade, commercial and domain names.
His key focus areas include advising on information, digital and cloud technology.
Over the last four years, Anton has supported transactions worth USD 600 m.
Below are some of Anton’s recently completed assignments:
- Advised Open Mobile Platform-DC LLC and RUSINTECH LLC on IP matters in the sale of a 75% stake in each of Open Mobile Platform-DC LLC and Votron LLC to Rostelecom PJSC. As a result of the transaction, Rostelecom gained control over the developer of mobile operating systems Sailfish OS and Sailfish Mobile OS RUS.
- For a Russian state energy company, developed a package of agreements worth RUB 4 bn in total for licensing out software and developing domestic software jointly with a developer.
- Acted for Skolkovo start-up OOO Double (Double Data) in one of the most talked about IP disputes in recent years over use of Big Data and general functioning of the Internet. VKontakte, Russia’s biggest social network, sued our client, demanding that it cease collecting open data about its users. The final judgement in this dispute is yet to come and might affect the future of the entire Big Data industry and search engines in Russia.
- Advised Mobile TeleSystems (MTS) on the IP aspects of acquiring a controlling stake in the Russian retail software developer Oblachny Retail LLC operating under the LiteBox brand.
- Acted for the International Federation of Phonographic Industry (IFPI) on behalf of three music majors: Sony Music Russia, Universal Music Russia and Warner Music UK on suits against the VKontakte social network to defend their neighbouring rights to phonograms.
- Successfully acted for a big brewery Sun InBev in litigations regarding illegal use of trademark with the claimed compensation over 2 milliard roubles.
- Development of model of IP transfer within the members of Rushydro group.
- Advised Adidas on protection of trademarks in context of 2018 FIFA World cup.
- Advised a Finnish developer of an operating system on the best way to build its licensing model in Russia.
- Advised AVEVA on building a licensing model for its linchpin software in Russia.
- Developed a model for software distribution via the Internet for a big producer of the computer equipment.
- Advised LG regarding recognition trademark as well-known.
- Drafted a complicated licence agreement for Insurance Group MSK.
- Advised Tyco Electronics on distribution and licensing of software.
- Acted for Independence Group (major BMW distributor) in connection with a suit connected with violation of trade mark rights during sale of case to a sum of RUB 61 000 000 000 000, the compensation was reduced tens of millions of time, to a final sum of RUB 240 thousand.
- Acting on behalf of Sick AG in a dispute connected with illegal use of the client’s main trademark on the Internet.
- Successfully acted for a media company ANO Gazeta in two high-profile disputes over trademark “GAZETA” against the biggest on-line newspaper in Russia Gazeta.ru.
- Successfully protected the interests of Bulgartabak in a high-profile case. The case concerned production by a Russian company of well-known cigarettes that were previously manufactured by the client: Opal, TU-134, Stewardess, BT, Inter and Rodopy. As a result the Federal Antimonopoly Service (FAS) found that the actions of that Russian company constitute unfair competition.
- Successfully acted for a big medical clinic in litigations regarding illegal use of its trade mark on the web.
- Settlement of dispute connected with illegal use of a trademark.
- Complex advice of Home Credit Bank on strategy of protection of brand in Russia.
- Advised Panalpina on licensing of trademarks in Russia.
- Advised Nissan on the model of acquiring IP rights.
- Advised Tommy Hilfiger on developing franchising model in Russia.
- Audited a trademark portfolio for a big FMCG holding company.
- Introduced a trade secret policy for a big FMCG holding company.
- Drafted a licensing agreement covering over 70 IP assets for a big FMCG holding company.
- Advised an aviation company regarding ownership of intellectual rights to a Soviet aircraft.
- Prepared an opinion regarding similarity between a trade mark of a big confectionery holding company and a label of its competitor.
- Advising Sun Pharma Global FZE, a group company of Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Limited, on prospective brand acquisition from a Russian competitor. Our mandate included comprehensive due diligence of the assets and related business (with particular focus on regulatory, contractual and IP), advice on structuring of the transaction, documenting and hands-on negotiating the deal.