Find a lawyer
Kirill specialises in all areas of taxation in Russia, including, corporate and private taxation, tax disputes resolution, transfer pricing issues, international tax planning. Kirill advises Russian and international businesses on various issues related to tax regime of inbound investments, current business operations in Russia, cross-border movement of goods, M&A transactions and asset deals, setting up of joint ventures.
Kirill has extensive experience of litigating tax cases for corporate taxpayers against Russian tax authorities both at the pre-trial (administrative) and trial stages (in Russian commercial courts) re the assessments of corporate profit tax, VAT, corporate property tax and other Russian taxes, including the cases over the applications of double tax treaties ratified by the Russian Federation. Kirill also has experience of litigating customs cases, providing legal advice on Russian civil and contractual law issues, contractual drafting.
Prior to joining BLP Kirill worked as a member of the tax teams of law firms Dentons, Schekin & Partners and Pepeliaev Group. Kirill’s experience encompasses legal and tax assistance and advice to a wide range of domestic and international clients with regard to their activities in Russia and overseas, construction of real property, acquisition and alienation of immovable and movable assets in the Russian territory, joint venture arrangements, cross-borders transactions (importation and exportations of goods and hardware). Kirill provides legal support to clients doing business in such sectors as food and non-food retail (consumer products), automotive industry, construction development and real estate, financial services (banks, insurance companies, etc.), pharmaceuticals, IT, oil & gas industry and other.
Kirill also has experience in advising private clients on matters related to personal tax deductions and tax reliefs, controlled foreign companies (CFC) rules and de-offshorisation.
Kirill’s scope of professional knowledge and experience also includes transfer pricing assignments, including benchmarking studies and preparation of transfer pricing documentation on controlled transactions for Russian tax authorities on a turnkey basis, as well as dealing with issues relating to currency law, ecological duty, administrative litigation (litigation of cases over administrative offences).
Kirill has been named a leading tax lawyer in Russia for several years in a row by Indirect Tax Leaders and Tax Controversy Leaders / International Tax Review.
Kirill’s recent assignments include:
- Successful legal support to a large international company specializing in construction and operation of shopping malls and other commercial estate in Russia with regard to the tax audit of the client’s claim for VAT recovery arising from the completion of a shopping mall in Moscow, the amount of the claim exceeding 2 billion rubles.
- Successful in-court litigation of a tax case of one of the largest multinational retailers present in Russia over the amount of property tax on a commercial building taxable at its cadastral value.
- Advising a large international insurance company on tax implications of the sale of the client’s Russian subsidiary, a Russian insurance company and transactions accompanying this sale (the transfer of the insurance portfolio, etc.).
- Advising a large international company specializing in manufacturing of construction raw materials on various issues of application of Russian transfer pricing rules to controlled transactions made by the client’s Russian subsidiaries, including the sales of the manufactured materials, provision of intra-group services, loans, the benchmarking study of the transfer prices applied in these transactions.
- Advising a large multinational manufacturer of consumer goods on various tax issues relating to the exportation of the goods produced by the client in Russia.
- Advising a large multinational retailer on tax consequences of the write-off of spoiled and lost goods for sale being stored in a warehouse as well as in a selling area of a department store.
- Preparation in compliance of Russian requirements of a set of transfer pricing documentation on controlled transactions made in Russia by a large international pharmaceutical company.
- Advising a Russian financial company on various issues lying in the area of the new Russian deoffshorisation measures, including advising the client on various matters related to the Russian CFC rules, amnesty of capital and transitional matters, including the preparation of a detailed restructuring roadmap for the client’s international holding structure.
- Successful in-court litigation of a customs case of a multinational manufacturer of electronics over the incompliance of the tariff of the customs duty imposed on the imports of goods into Russia (the Customs Union) to the obligations of Russia under the WTO agreements.