Find a lawyer
Julia Romanova’s practice focuses on litigation, arbitration, bankruptcy and white collar criminal cases. Julia has over 20 years’ experience of representing clients’ interests before Russian courts and various state authorities.
Over the past 13 years, Julia has prepared expert evidence on Russian law for international arbitration tribunals and foreign courts (England, the USA, the Netherlands, Cyprus and the BVI) as well as has assisted clients participating in such proceedings. Julia is also involved in providing legal assistance in criminal cases, acting as defence attorney or representing injured parties and civil claimants and civil defendants in criminal cases. She has extensive experience with international, multilateral lending institutions on recovery and restructuring matters and has participated in general due diligence reviews of numerous Russian companies.
Before joining Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner (Russia) LLP, Julia Romanova was Head of the Litigation/Arbitration Practice of Moscow Office of Chadbourne & Parke LLP.
Ms Romanova is recognised by Chambers Global and Chambers Europe (2011-2017) for dispute resolution and by Best Lawyers (2010-2019) for her work in litigation, insolvency and reorganization law, arbitration and mediation, real estate, construction and corporate law.
Julia Romanova has been a member of the Moscow City Bar since 2004.
- Handling an LCIA dispute over an SPA for shares in a major catering chain.
- Preparing an expert report on Russian law in connection with the effect for Russian proceedings of a restructuring order approved by an English court for the purposes of a dispute in the High Court of Justice in London.
- Advising a major foreign mining company on white collar criminal case matters (including acting for it as the injured party).
- Representing, in cooperation with the London Office, an individual client in recovery proceedings against another Russian individual in the High Court of Justice in London (the claim exceeding USD 9 m). Coordinating ancillary actions in other jurisdictions (Cyprus, Latvia).
- Advising a major auditing firm in connection with various aspects of a criminal case initiated against one of its clients (including representing the client's employees during interrogations).
- Assisting a major Russian bank with respect to enforcement of a Russian judgement against a Russian borrower residing in the US in a case it brought in the State Court of California.
- Represented the International Finance Corporation as a creditor in a Russian court in the Home Center bankruptcy proceedings.
- Represented a major Russian auditing firm as a defendant in Russian commercial courts against a claimant seeking to enforce an ICAC award.
- Successfully represented a client before the Moscow state arbitrazh court in a case to cancel a domestic arbitral award rendered against the client for recovery of over USD 1 m.
- Lead counsel in successfully representing a Russian power-generating company in the International Commercial Arbitration Court in Moscow (ICAC) in a dispute over an agreement for reconstruction of a major hydropower plant in Russia under which the general contractor did not fulfil its obligations.
- Represented a Ukrainian subsidiary of a Turkish construction company (as claimant) in the ICAC in a multi-million-dollar dispute with its client over a construction agreement. The parties reached a settlement in the case.
- Successfully represented a leader in the Russian IT industry, a Forbes 100 Company, in a tax dispute in Russian state arbitrazh courts.
- Represented a major Russian auditing firm in litigation initiated by a customer’s shareholder seeking to declare the audit reports deliberately false.
- Successfully represented a major Russian auditing firm in Russian courts of common jurisdiction against a claim for damages related to an investment decision allegedly made by an individual shareholder relying on such auditor's report.
- Assisting a major Russian bank on litigation initiated by the client in UK courts to recover debts from an individual debtor currently residing abroad.
- Represented a major Russian auditing firm in the Moscow state arbitrazh court in judicial proceedings arising out of a corporate conflict.
- Participated in preparing expert evidence on Russian law in numerous high-profile disputes in the High Court of Justice in London (including in Berezovsky vs Abramovich).
- Assisted in preparing expert evidence for the Russian Federation for presentation to an arbitral tribunal acting under the auspices of Arbitration Institute of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce.
- As the representative of a civil defendant in a criminal case, successfully appealed against attachment of the client’s assets ordered in the criminal proceedings.
- Assisted in preparing Russian law expert evidence for a multilateral development bank for two LCIA arbitration proceedings brought against a major Russian car manufacturer and a Russian shipping company.
- Represented a subsidiary of a major Russian state oil company in two LCIA arbitration proceedings with claims amounting to more than USD 1 bn in connection with two disputes against a major French oil company, with complete victory in the first case and partial victory in the second case.
- Successfully represented a foreign investor, owner of a minority stake in a major Russian metallurgical plant, in two litigations aimed at protecting its shareholders’ rights.
- Represented, in Russian state arbitrazh courts, a major Turkish construction company as a creditor in bankruptcy proceedings initiated against a major Russian petrochemical company.
- Represented a major international bank in Russia in a series of litigations against former employees.
- Successfully represented a senior executive of a major tobacco company in Russia in criminal proceedings (the case was terminated at the preliminary investigation stage).
- Advised a foreign aluminium trader on arbitration proceedings, held in Zurich, involving a major Russian aluminium plant; prepared Russian law expert evidence.
- Advised a major Russian oil company and a Cyprus holding company of a major Russian investment company in two separate litigations held in the Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court; prepared Russian law expert evidence.
- Participated in due diligence of a major Russian cement holding company and its other affiliated cement plants, a major Russian holding company for production of beverages and a major Russian tobacco company.
- Participated in debt equity swap transactions with participation by an international financial institution.